Saturday, December 5, 2009

1993 Accord LX

The old car is back. I finally got it all back together and in road worthy shape. To do it myself turned out to be quite an adventure. I have to admit at one point I had it towed to a place that could deal with a very dysfunctional ball-joint. But other then that "minor" deviation, I completed about $2500 worth or repair work for about 1/5 that amount, and the car rides and runs great. The VID device is now laying loose on the passenger side rug... it reports a nice 34 MPG average during my drives. Apparently the GD front driver side brake rotor has been completely dysfunctional for a long time. While working on the other issues, I think it was pushed into to complete failure.. I finally had to replace everything on the driver's side wheel assembly, except the steering knuckle itself. But that turned out to be very inexpensive---thanks to ebay etc. Along the way,, i also replaced the front coil springs, and the entire exhaust system south of the catalysis converter. At any rate, the only thing remaining on my list--- for long term stability is the timing belt.. I believe with the amount of information I have on this subject, and the tools I have.. it would be feasible to do the job myself. I am however, worried that unforeseen problems might prevent me from getting to the core of the issue. For instance, the engine mount on that side must be removed.. and it is a bear...

No comments:

Post a Comment